Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Bavarian Meatball Stew

Well, if I'm not feeding my kids, I'm usually at least thinking about what they're going to eat at the next meal or snack. Did I mention they eat 5 times a day? So I'm always trying to find new things to add to "the book". By the way, "the book" is where all of the good recipes land if we like them. This one made it!

I found this one at Taste of Home and thought it sounded good and a little different, so I tried it. It was a huge hit so I thought I'd share.  It even passed the test at my parent's house.  Let me know what you think! Oh-and yes, even the kids ate it!

Bavarian Meatball Stew

1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 soft bread crumbs ( I wasn't sure what this was so I just used regular bread crumbs and was fine)
3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon pepper
______________________
1-1/2 lbs ground beef
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) beef broth
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (14 ounces) Bavarian sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed (I think I used 3 or 4 because we wanted more veg.)
2 medium carrots, sliced (same here)
2 celery ribs, sliced
1 envelope onion soup mix
1 tablespoon pure cane sugar
1 bay leaf

Directions:  in a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients (above line).   Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.  Shape into 1 inch balls.  Place on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan.  Bake at 400 for 15 minutes; drain.  Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients.  Add meatballs.  Bring to boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  Discard bay leaf before serving. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment