Sunday, January 24, 2010

Gingerbread Fun

I’ve been promising my 3 year old since December that we would make gingerbread cookies and so we finally did it today.  We’ve been reading this version over and over again to the point where he can almost retell the entire story to me. We got the recipe from the back of the book.  Here are my little chefs all ready to go…
IMG_3179IMG_3185  
Gingerbread Cookies

Sift into a big bowl and mix:
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
IMG_3181
Beat together in another bowl:
1 egg
1 c. firmly packed dark brown sugar
2/3 c. molasses
5 tbsp. softened butter
Add dry ingredients slowly to wet mixture until well blended.
IMG_3186
  IMG_3193
Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.  Preheat oven to 350 F.  Sift flour onto your board and your rolling pin as you work to keep the dough from sticking.  Roll out a portion of dough 1/4 inch thick.  Cut out with your cookie cutter.  Decorate with raisins or other candy.  Place 1 inch apart on buttered cookie sheet.  Bake 8 minutes, or until slightly firm to the touch. Cool on wire rack.
 IMG_3187 IMG_3197
Can anybody else get away with baking and NOT giving their kids the beaters? I surely can’t!  The best part was when G-man kept watching to see if the gingerbread man was going to jump out of the oven (like in the book) …
IMG_3194
and so when they were baking and he was in the bathroom, I took one out of the oven and put it in the living room. He was SO excited and was running around trying to find it. He was surprised to find it on the couch!
IMG_3195
Then I pulled out some other gingerbread stuff I have gotten online or through my Yahoo groups. I’m sorry I can’t give you the links as I didn’t save these and can’t remember where I got them. But I will try to be better in the future so I can provide resources for you all.


Gingerbread Memory and Gingerbread Shadow Match

IMG_3202 IMG_3204
At bedtime Garrett said “Mom, that was so fun making gingerbreads”…it made the big old mess totally worth it!


Gingerbread Playdoh

This recipe came from a fabulous website Hubbard’s Cupboard.  If you’ve never been there, you should check it out! Tons of activities for little tots.

IMG_3206 Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tsp. cream of tartar
Spices-Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Ginger,  Allspice (to your liking)
1 cup water
1 tsp. vegetable oil
Food coloring-green and red to make brown (I used a ton!)

1. Mix the dry ingredients together
2. Mix the liquid ingredients together
3. Stir together the dry and liquid ingredients

IMG_3207
4. Add food coloring to make brown
5. Cook the mixture on low-medium heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly.
6. Knead the dough until it is soft and smooth.
7. Cool and store in an airtight container.
* Makes enough for 2 balls of playdoh, each fitting into a small butter tub .

Play! (notice the tongue? He sure is concentrating!)

IMG_3208 IMG_3210

IMG_3209

Gingerbread Mosiac

This is simple, but kept his little hands quite busy. I just drew a gingerbread man and cut it out.

Then he cut brown squares out of strips that I made of brown construction paper. Good cutting practice!

IMG_3236  
Next, he glued the squares to the gingerbread.

IMG_3235

Finally, we put on googly eyes, raisins for the mouth, and gumdrops for the buttons.  On the left is the newly finished…and then about 30 minutes later with his mouth full, he told me that he ate the smile and the buttons. I wasn’t surprised. On the right is the poor gingerbread with nothing at all!

IMG_3237 IMG_3239

No comments:

Post a Comment