Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Ice Cube Painting

Ironic, I had this planned even before I knew of our impending ice storm. The kids really liked this one!
IMG_3163 Supplies:
Ice cube tray
Food coloring
small popsicle sticks (I happened to have colored…)
Coffee filters
Kool-aid
White paper
IMG_3150
Directions:
1. Fill ice cube trays the night before and drop 1 drop of food coloring in each.
IMG_3151
2. Insert craft stick into each ice cube

IMG_31523. Freeze overnight
4. Watch your child’s face light up when he sees all the colors. “Paint” on coffee filters (see tip below).
5. When that gets boring, sprinkle Kool-aid on paper and have them “paint” the Kool-aid. They’ll be amazed at the pop of color.
IMG_3153IMG_3154   
IMG_3155 IMG_3156
IMG_3158 IMG_3164
Of course, I had to make this educational so we talked about melting and spent the morning checking on our ice cubes to see if they had melted yet. Guess what color it ended up being when they all melted together? That’s right-brown! (G guessed red and yellow…)
Tips-if you try this I would recommend waiting about 5-10 minutes for the ice cubes to melt before you give them to your child. I didn’t and it was kind of disappointing that there wasn’t any immediate color. Also, if you have a 1 year old..take note that he/she will probably try to eat the ice cube which means food coloring all over the face! And the Kool-aid..well I’m sure you can guess what happened there. Icy fun on an icy day!

5 comments:

  1. See, you can post a comment by clicking here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love this idea! I just posted a comment and didn't read the post :) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! My kids love to paint but I am not always thrilled with the mess. This looks like a low mess project. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that idea with popsicle sticks--- what an easy way to hold the ice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven’t any word to appreciate this post.....Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us.

    Dry Ice Blasting in Abu Dhabi & Dry ice suppliers

    ReplyDelete