Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My Favorite Things

I thought I would comment on a few baby/kid related things that I have fallen in love with. Maybe something will strike your fancy and you will love them as much as I do.
1. Halo Sleepsack
IMG_3265 IMG_3269_edited-1
This is by far, my most favorite thing ever. My kids have been wearing these to bed since they were born, and now the oldest is 37 months and we just upgraded to the “big kid” sleepsack because he insisted. It is worn in place of a blanket and it zips top to bottom. They can never kick the covers off and stay warm and cozy all night long and it reduces the risk of SIDS. They come in fleece or cotton and go from size NB to 4/5.  A genius invention!
(you can also get these at Babies R Us, Amazon, One Step Ahead)
2. Clock with set wake up time
IMG_3264
This has been a HUGE lifesaver and really, is the reason that I’m still sane (well, mostly anyway). We were having big problems with my oldest waking up at 5 a.m. and thinking it was time to get up for the day. This went on for a good month, one day getting up at 5, the next 6…I just never knew. And of course he didn’t understand when I said to go back to bed and so he would start bawling…and then surprise, I would have TWO kids up at 5 a.m. Sometimes I wonder how I survived that. And so when I saw this at One Step Ahead and knew I had to have it.
It WORKED! We set the wake up time for 7 a.m. and by golly, he faithfully waits until that little clock turns green to get up. It’s yellow all night long (hard to see from the pic above) and then magically turns green at whatever time you set it for. It also doubles as a nightlight.
Note: I just went to One Step Ahead’s website and can’t seem to find it anywhere…but I did just see it in Sensational Beginning’s catalog too.
3. Preschool Activity Bags
IMG_3270
Last summer I found this website and held an activity bag swap with some friends.  As a result, I now have lots of activity bags that I can bring out at any given time.
These have really come in handy now that my 3 yr. old is in a big boy bed. When he wakes up in the morning (while waiting for his clock to turn green) he can do some of these activities by himself to pass the time. I just make sure to rotate them every 3 days or so. I’m kind of become addicted because I’ve made about 30 more on my own so I should be set for a good while :-)
4. Firefly Toothbrush
IMG_3266
Santa brought these and you can’t tell from the picture, but there is a light that flickers on and off for 1 minute. This has come in handy because I just tell him to brush until the light goes off, and  then I press it again and help him for another minute. No more arguing about how long we have to brush! BTW-“Santa” got them at Wal-Mart.
5. The Laurie Berkner Band DVD
IMG_3263
Another blog (sorry, I can’t remember who) recommended this DVD and I have to say my kids love it. The first time I watched it I thought it was 3 crazy people jumping around and I didn’t think they would like it at all…but there is something that is VERY catchy about these songs.  And I’m not embarrassed to admit that I find myself singing them all day long. It’s just super cute and if you live where I live, it’s at our public library!
Have you discovered something that would make your favorite list? Please leave a comment and tell me about it!

1 comment:

  1. I am SOOOO getting that clock! It's expensive, but I haven't had more than 5 hrs of sleep in weeks! Franklin just won't stay in his bed. The other two will sleep until 7 or 8, but NOOO, not Franklin. He might crawl in our bed and go back to sleep, but I can't. Or else he wakes one of the other two. I guess $40 plus shipping is a small price to pay for good sleep and my sanity. Btw, it's a bit cheaper on the One Step Ahead web site.

    ReplyDelete