Monday, March 8, 2010

The Long-Awaited Coffee Cake!

I say long-awaited because I promised this recipe to my MOPS table and friends over 2 weeks ago. I must give credit where credit is due-and that is to my mom.  I was fortunate enough to have enjoyed this coffee cake for well…my whole life. It is HER recipe and one that I haven’t seemed to perfect just yet, but I will keep trying. It is so yummy-I think the yumminess is due to how moist it is. Enjoy!

Ingredients for cake:

1 box Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
3 oz. box vanilla instant pudding
4 eggs
8 oz. sour cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. water

Ingredients for topping:
1/2 c. margarine (see note at end)
1/2 c. flour
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar

Ingredients for frosting:

1 tbsp. soft margarine
drop vanilla
1 c. powdered sugar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350.  Combine cake mix and pudding together. Add eggs, oil, sour cream, vanilla and water.  Mix gently.  Put 1/2 of batter in pan and carefully cover with 1/2 of topping. Repeat with rest of batter and rest of topping.  Bake in angel food cake pan or 9 x 13 greased/floured pan for 30-40 minutes. Drizzle frosting on while still warm.

Note-I can’t seem to get the topping just right, and my mom can’t quite explain it to me :-)  I don’t advise melting the butter or having it too soft because the topping will bake into the cake. The goal is to have the topping “crumbly” when you put it on the cake. I think it has something to do with the amount of margarine and the temperature of it. If anybody figures it out, PLEASE leave a comment.

2 comments:

  1. This recipe looks so yummy!! I'm enjoying your blog as part of the crew blog walk. ~Tess (from the Review Crew)

    ReplyDelete