Saturday, June 26, 2010

Dyed Pasta

IMG_3592
About 3 weeks ago, our PAT (Parents as Teacher) educator brought a bin of colored pasta to our house. It was a BIG hit! The boys loved scooping, manipulating and just playing with it. I thought “I could do that”and so here is my feeble attempt. The end product turned out great, but see the bottom for some tips from someone who really didn’t know what she was doing :-)

When searching the Internet, I found all kinds of recipes for how to dye pasta. They were all so different so I just figured I would throw a little of this and a little of that in and see how it turned out.

Here is what I did:

1. Separate pasta into 6 plastic bags, or however many colors you want.
2. Put a little of each kind of pasta into each bag.
3. Put about 2-3 capfuls of rubbing alcohol into each bag of pasta.
4. Drop food coloring into the bag and toss and turn to coat. Keep adding food coloring to achieve desired color.

IMG_3589 IMG_3590
5. Put paper towels on cookie sheets and let dry. I just left mine for the whole morning since we had plans that day.

IMG_3591 
6. When dry, put in bin with bowls, spoons, containers, etc. and hopefully you will see smiles like this…

IMG_3593
My first-timer tips:
* put on old clothes that you won’t mind getting food coloring on (why didn’t I think of that?)
*Put newspapers down on counter
*when drying, pasta color will bleed through paper towels/newspaper so I thought of the cookie sheet thing, but not until my counter was covered in color
The kids sure do enjoy this, now I just have to figure out where to store it. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Oh what a fun idea! I saw this with rice once too, but haven't had a chance to try it...maybe this year...

    ReplyDelete