Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Our Camping Adventure

I wouldn’t really call myself or my husband “campers”, but with two boys, I thought we’d better start getting used to it as I think camping is so great for kids.

Our first trip of the season was to one of the infamous Jellystone Park Resorts starring Yogi Bear himself. It is actually the same park that I went to as a kid so it was kind of a blast from the past.  All in all, the experience was positive and the kids had a great time. Plus, it’s always nice to have a break in the routine and just do something different. Here are a few of the highlights from the weekend.

Swimming! We got the kids these nifty puddle jumper flotation devices that I just LOVE. For the first time, Garrett felt comfortable being in the water by himself and that itself made it worth the price.  They also loved jumping into daddy’s arms.

IMG_3527 IMG_3529

IMG_3528 IMG_3531

And here’s Yogi Bear, the star of the show….

IMG_3532 IMG_3533

IMG_3534

IMG_3536

The campground had a great little play area for kids with a playset, sandbox and jumping pillow. The jumping pillow is kind of like a giant trampoline and the kids loved it. Oh and at dusk they had what else? Vintage Hannah Barbara Yogi cartoons. FUN!

IMG_3537 IMG_3538

IMG_3540 IMG_3541

IMG_3542 IMG_3546

Then there’s the campfire…the kids were infatuated with making, poking and tending to the fire. I guess that’s to be expected, but it made for one stressed out mommy. It was also a wet day so the fire was not “roaring” to say the least, but it did the job for smores.

IMG_3543 IMG_3544

Every weekend has it’s own theme, and this weekend happened to be the Easter weekend, so the kids had an Easter egg hunt and made a few different types of bunny crafts. We also did an egg toss (which Garrett and I almost won coincidentally-our egg would NOT break!) and he had a chance to hit an egg pinata. We also took a wagon ride with Yogi. They loved the activities. I’m not going to post those pics just because I have so many but it was just fun, especially since the weather wasn’t cooperating.

Here we are eating breakfast in front of our cabin.

IMG_3556

And my favorite picture of all…don’t you wonder what the kids are doing? Well, we found out shortly after we arrived that we were about 50 feet away from a train track. And oh…there were about 25 trains per day AND night that whistled each and every time it passed the campground. WHHAAAT? I am still in shock about this because isn’t the point of camping to relax? And still, there were people with seasonal sights even closer to the tracks than  us. I guess there are some things in life I am not meant to understand, and this is one of them. We now see trains in a whole new light.

IMG_3557 

All in all, a nice weekend. Even if we don’t end up being lifelong campers, at least we can pull out the pictures someday and say that we gave it our best shot. I can always blame it on the trains…or the bird that pooped on me.

16 comments:

  1. This looks like fun! My boys LOVE Yogi Bear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how wonderful! I have to look into this. I remember going to Jellystone Park as a kid too. We had moved, and my parents planned this vacation so we'd be meeting up with some friends from the 'old house'

    I had totally forgotten that trip, and it was a fun one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're not big on camping here either but we do really enjoy staying in cabins at state parks. Can that be considered camping?

    I'm visiting from the Blog Walk on the TOS Forum. I'm new this year with the Crew and am reviewing products for the older group.

    If you ever have time, stop by and visit me at http://tobebusyathome.blogspot.com

    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy! I'm Michelle from the TOS Crew, blogwalking here. I love your pictures especially the ones of your boys covering their ears. I'm looking forward to working with you on the Crew this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun!! Our family has just started to camp a little more lately.

    I'm Melissa from TOS Crew! Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We used to go camping a lot when I was a child, but we either had a pop-up, pull trailer or motor home.

    We'd like to take our three boys camping, but we would have to tent camp and I'm not so sure about that. We do go out into nature a lot, though, so kids are used to the outdoors.

    Enjoyed reading your blog. Looking forward to getting to know you through the crew.

    Tim from the Crew

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, I'm visiting from the blog walk though I realize we are mini-crew mates. We are not campers but my husband wants to to. I told him I would as soon as he planned it. I've been saying that for years and still haven't gone camping.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Visiting from the blog walk as well.
    LOVED your photos!!! You make camping look fun..not like the chore I normally view it as...

    Looking forward to getting to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stopped by from the TOS Crew blog walk.. That's awesome you were picked to be on the crew this year. I didn't realize they picked people with kids under Kindergarten age.. Look forward to getting to know you this year..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I'm taking the "Blog Walk" as a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew. We enjoy camping although we haven't done a great deal of it lately. In fact, all my son asked for as a Christmas gift was some camping gear. He was so excited to receive it he couldn't wait to camp and camped on our back patio when it was 40 degrees outside.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi There! Stopped by from the Tos Blog walk.
    I love this post! We had fun last summer at another Yogi Bear campground! Aren't they fun! I enjoyed reading your blog, and look forward to getting to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! Stopping by from the TOS crew forum. You have a great writing style. The camping post was hilarious. Looking forward to seeing you on the forums.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Amy,
    It looks like you all had an amazing time. My family and I go camping often. We've never been to Jellystone, but it sure looks like a lot of fun there!
    ~ Nanette
    TOS Older Crew

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! Glad to see you on the TOS review crew! Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a fellow TOS member. Love your blog...all the pic's are great. I saw those little floaties your children were wearing the other day and was so tempted to buy them. Unfortunately all the temptation in the world wouldn't fill my wallet so I walked away empty handed, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just wait until you get to Cub Scouts ;) I had forgotten how much fun camping was (from my Girl Scout days) until I went camping with my boys and 7000 of their closest Scout buddies a few weekends ago - we had a blast! I can't wait to go again!

    ReplyDelete