Saturday, October 9, 2010

TOS Review: Digital Frog International

HSCrew468x60Animated

As part of my participation on this year’s TOS Crew, I was given the opportunity to review this award-winning educational software that brings science to life.

About the Company:

digfrog 
Are you looking for a way to bring science to life? To get your middle schooler or high schooler excited about the natural world? Well, look no further! Digital Frog International has been around for almost 20 years, and has built a great reputation for bringing the world of natural science back into classrooms and homes.

From their website: Our focus is on biology and ecology.  Our goal is to make a difference to the way that people view the natural world. Our computer-based learning tools encourage a lifelong interest in, and respect for, the world around us.  We believe people cannot care about a world they do not understand. To this end, our products present accurate, detailed information in an interesting and engaging way.

Digital Frog offers a variety of products including a full, interactive virtual frog dissection and anatomy program, to teaching about the world’s most fascinating ecosystems. I was given the following field trips to review:

-The Digital Field Trip to the Desert
-The Digital Field Trip to the Wetlands
-The Digital Field Trip to the Rainforest

My Impression of the Software:

Let me first start out by saying that Science is not my area of expertise.  Having said that, I was looking forward to reviewing this because I wanted to see if it would be able to truly engage this unscientific reading teacher.

The website claims their product can be used for anyone from 3-90, but I’m not sure about that.  From my experience teaching 6th grade reading, I’m not sure that 6th grade or below would be able to digest this information.  I think there is a lot of information and sometimes the way it was displayed on the screen was a little too much even for me.  I wish the resolution was a bit bigger and the text presented in a clearer way. I could just see kids (esp. struggling readers) getting really frustrated.

Having said that, there is a wealth of information here that could be of great use to an older audience, as a supplement to a core curriculum.  I think middle schoolers and high schoolers could find the information very useful.

Price: The DVD’s range in price from $40-$125 depending on what you buy, and can be purchased here.

Click here to see what other TOS Crew Members think!

Disclaimer: I was given these items free of charge in exchange for my honest review as part of the TOS Crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment