Saturday, December 18, 2010

Hearty Oatmeal Pancakes

These healthy pancakes might not appeal to everyone, but I was pleasantly surprised that these are moist and delicious. Also, my #1 criteria was met for new recipes-my kids ATE them!  Well, one of them that is. So I think it’s a keeper . YAY! I love when I find healthier versions of their favorite food.

1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 cups buttermilk
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Assorted berries, optional

In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients.  In a small bowl, combine the egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla.  Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened.

Pour the batter by 1/4 cupful onto a hot griddle coated with cooking spray.  Turn pancakes when bubbles form on top.  Cook until the second side is golden brown. Serve with the berries if desired.

*For the busy moms out there, I measured the dry ingredients in a bowl the night before. Then in the morning, all I had to do was add the wet stuff. My boys are hungry in the morning and like to eat right away.It made things go much smoother.

1 comment:

  1. I knew they were going to be good when Trevor walked into the kitchen and said they smelled very good. Like you I put the dry ingredients together at night so it truly was a snap in the morning. I did make some substitutions; 3 egg whites instead of 1 whole egg, 1/2 cup of applesauce instead of the oil, and 2 TBSP of baking splenda instead of sugar. Without question I will be making these again for my family. YUMMMM MMMMEEEE!

    ReplyDelete