Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Best of 2010

It’s hard to believe 2010 has come to an end.  Here is a short recap of our year.  Now… don’t have too high of expectations!  Heck, I decided not to write a Christmas letter this year because I didn’t think I’d have enough exciting events to write about. But if you’re a mommy, then you know that every second is precious and eventful, and so…I shall write!

January

The first thing that come to mind when I think of January is that we got pregnant! I remember sitting at our good friends’ house on New Year’s Eve and wishing and hoping that it would happen soon. Our miscarriage in September was surprising and heartbreaking. I was very ready to be a mom again.

February

Of course, me being impatient and anxious, I took a pregnancy test immediately and found out the good news right around Valentine’s Day. My hubby was out of town for work so when I got home, I shared the exciting news in a fun and interesting way. That, my friends, shall remain our little secret!

March

All I seriously remember about March is feeling absolutely lousy, and wishing with all my might that the 12 weeks would be up so 1) I would start feeling better, and 2) we could TELL someone! It was so difficult to keep the big secret.  Morning sickness takes on a whole new meaning when you have other kids to take care of!

April

The news is out!  We told my family at Easter. I had concocted a plan-Garrett stood up on a chair and said “My mommy has a baby in her tummy”. Of course, in the midst of the choas nobody heard him, so he had to repeat himself. We told my in-laws by writing a note with sidewalk chalk on our driveway.  I can’t remember exactly what it said, but it was some cheesy poem that I made up.

May

I can’t think of anything for May! I guess nothing too exciting happened this month.

June

June is always busy. Both of my nieces birthdays are in June and Colin turned 2! We celebrated each with a party.  We also took a fun camping trip to Jellystone park. It was the boys’ first camping experience (other than my parents) and besides the train 50 feet away and the unbearable beds, it was fun ;-) June 14th was also the 1st  anniversary of my brother’s death. Time does not heal by the way…

July

One of the highlights of July was camping with my parents and my brother’s family.  We stay with my parents in their camper and the kids absolutely adore it.  Garrett has already started asking when this year’s trip will be. There’s just something special about a campfire and kids…magical almost. I hope to continue the tradition. (ahem..mom!)

August

My 33rd birthday-not too exciting. Just a reminder that I’m getting older and the big 40 is getting closer every year. Sometimes it’s hard to believe how quickly time goes by, but it also reminds me to treasure the time that I have and live in the moment. We also took a trip across the state for my nephew’s birthday party. We had a fun time going to the zoo and also the State Fair. Staying in a hotel room with 2 (now 3) little boys is always an adventure!

September

Garrett started preschool! This was  tough decision for us, but 4 months in, I think it was the right one. 2 days a week for 2 1/2 hours is a great outlet for him.  He loves going  and I’m confident that a little time away from home is good for him. He is my little socialite after all. I also joined a local moms group (formerly MOPS) here in town and have met some fabulous women.

October

Welcome baby Austin! We were blessed with our 3rd little guy on the 25th. My labor and delivery was a piece of cake (at least compared to the other two) He was and still is, an absolute delight!

November

November was just kind of a blur. I think most days were spent just trying to keep my head above water. Getting used to 3 kids was quite an adjustment. I was so so blessed to have 30+ meals delivered after Austin’s birth which I am so incredibly grateful for. That was a huge help. Grant also turned 34 this month.

December

We had lots of fun getting ready and preparing for Christmas. The kids were at a great age for projects, crafts and lots of time snuggling on the couch reading.  We also had a bunch of snow dumped on us this month, which gave us a good reason to stay home.  Grant and the boys made one heck of a snowman!  Garrett turned 4 towards the end of the month, but we still haven’t had his party. The poor guy-his brother woke up at 6 a.m. the morning of his party and puked all over his bed. Needless to say, the festivities were cancelled. We’re shooting for this weekend and hopefully mother nature will cooperate. Grant and I also celebrated our 5th anniversary. Our weekend getaway was unfortunately canceled because of the snow. Big bummer.

Final thoughts

All in all, a wonderful year at our house. I am so grateful for the health, both physical and mental, of my family. Raising these boys is the greatest challenge and joy of my life.  If I could have wished for my “dream” life 5 years ago, this would be it. I’m living my dream! How many people can say that? Some days are rough, and God knows I get stressed and lose my patience. But at the end of the day when the house is quiet,  I just feel overwhelmed with joy and happiness at what is my life.

Welcome 2011!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your amazing year! We are so thankful you made the decision to send Garrett to school! Bryant really enjoys him and I enjoy the special smile Colin gives me as a daily greeting! You are a great mother and do have a great life to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete