I’ve always wanted to make homemade ice cream with my kiddos, but have always been scared that it just plain wouldn’t work. So I was thrilled when our PAT educator came today with a tried and true recipe and all of the ingredients to make it! I thought I’d share this one because it is SO easy and you probably have most of the ingredients anyway.
What you’ll need:
* 1 tbsp. sugar
* 1/2 c. half and half
*1/4 tsp. vanilla or cocoa (see note below)
* 6 tbsp. rock salt
* 1 pint size plastic bag
* 1 gallon size plastic bag
* ice cubes
How to make it:
1. Fill the large bag half full of ice, and add the rock salt. Seal the bag. (the pic on the right is Katie teaching Garrett to figure out how many tbsp. is half)
2. Put milk, vanilla, and sugar into the small bag, and seal it.
3. Place the small bag inside the large one, and seal it again carefully.
4. Wrap a kitchen towel around bags. Shake until the mixture is ice cream, which takes about 5 minutes.
5. Wipe off the top of the small bag, then open it carefully. Enjoy!
NOTE: We skipped the vanilla in the original recipe and used a tsp. or so of cocoa instead. The result was kind of like a chocolate Frosty.
Also, don’t go cheap on the plastic baggies. You do not want any leaks for this one!
This recipe makes about 3 Dixie cups full of ice cream.